Play Makers (Youth and Family) x 3
Sickle Cell Family Retreat : 11th August 2023 (3pm) until 13th August 2023 (3pm)
Pioneer Centre, Shropshire
Pay: £400 for the weekend + any prep work beforehand (freelance – responsible for own
**Food and Basic Shared Accommodation included. We are able to contribute a little
towards transport if required**
We are looking for three fun, enthusiastic and energetic freelancers to support our Sickle
Cell Family Retreat from 11th-13th August at the Pioneer Centre, Shropshire.
The three freelancers will work with our Family Retreat Coordinator to deliver an educational and
exciting holistic experience for around 30 families who have at least one child aged between
6 and 15 years old who has sickle cell, a painful genetic blood condition.
This role will involve:
● Leading pre-planned activities for the group – both fun (e.g. arts and crafts, lego) and
educational (e.g. peer to peer advice sessions)
● Accompanying groups to activities and modelling excellent interactions with children
● Helping to make sure everyone knows what is happening and when
● Supporting and empowering the Sickle Cell Society volunteers who are supporting
the retreat – some of whom may be leading activities – making sure they have the
perfect amount of things to do and are getting enough rest!
● Facilitating conversations and friendships between families
● Helping to troubleshoot any issues and proactively providing solutions
● Helping to ensure the families with particularly young children are supported so that
they get the most out of the retreat
● Making sure the retreat is well documented with photos and videos and helping to
label and file these. This may include posting during a social media ‘takeover’
● Supporting quieter children or those finding things difficult to find a way to enjoy the
retreat – noticing the families who are on the sidelines or overwhelmed and need
some extra support to get involved
● Leading games to fill gaps between activities, encouraging volunteers to take the
lead with this too
● Encouraging those with sickle cell to take breaks and drink lots of water and general
monitoring to ensure that pain is not hidden – and ensuring activity providers are
doing the same, or are aware so that the activity is appropriate for our group.
● Helping to set up and tidy up activities, meeting and greeting providers, helping us
with health and safety (hand sanitiser, wiped tables, medication access, redistributing
bed pads etc) – anything where our Retreat Coordinator may need to be in two
places at once otherwise!
● Helping ensure our safeguarding and accessibility is tip top
● Standing in for our Retreat Coordinator or other members of staff when they take a
● Making fun things happen! This might look like dancing at the disco, leading an
action song in the dining hall, putting on face paint, setting up a (safe) challenge etc
Tasks will be split based on skills, interest and experience. This role may involve early
mornings and/or late nights, depending on the requirements of the programme. It is likely the
role will involve some degree of speaking in front of the whole group.
We would also like one freelancer to drive the holiday equipment from the Sickle Cell
Society Offices in London to the Pioneer Centre and back. We are able to pay mileage for
Freelancers will be accountable to Jessica, our Family Retreat Coordinator, for the duration
of the event.
The ideal candidate for these positions will:
● Have experience in working with children and young people
● Have lots of energy and enthusiasm
● Be able to take initiative, problem solve and think on their feet
● Able to lead a group
● Good at planning exciting activities that keep young people engaged
● Have previous knowledge about sickle cell
One candidate should be able to drive and be willing to transport equipment from London to
Shropshire – though this is not necessary for all candidates.
A DBS check is necessary for all freelancers.
Please send an up to date CV and a short covering letter (no more than 500 words) to
firstname.lastname@example.org by 9th July 2023.